Alaska Salmon and Pea Bhajis by Rachel Green
85g of gram flour
50g of cornflour
1tbsp curry powder
1tsp fennel seeds, lightly toasted
½ tsp turmeric
1tsp of nigella seeds
Juice of half a lime
2x213g can of Alaska pink salmon, well drained
200g of frozen peas, defrosted and slightly crushed
3 spring onions, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 clove of garlic crushed
A small handful of chopped coriander
1 red chilli diced
Sea salt and black pepper
Serve with raita
1) Pre-heat a deep fat fryer to 180c.
2) Whisk all the dry ingredients together. Add the lime juice and enough water to bind – it should be in the form of a loose paste, if a little too runny add a little more gram flour.
3) Fold in the canned salmon, peas, spring onion, garlic, coriander, and red chilli, then season well with sea salt and black pepper. Drop dessertspoons of the mixture into the hot fat and cook in the deep fryer for approximately 2-3 minutes until crispy and golden. Make sure the centre of the bhaji is cooked through.
4) Place the bhajis on a piece of kitchen paper to drain and cool slightly.
5) Serve the salmon and pea bhaji with minted raita. These are great for a canape snack or starter.