BBQ Alaska Salmon, Pink Pepper Pickled Cucumber and Brown Butter Mayo by Rachel Green
• 6 juniper berries
• 2 tsp sea salt
• rapeseed oil
• 4 x150g Alaskan salmon fillets
• olive oil
• freshly ground black pepper
• charred spring onions, to serve
• Rocket leaves, to serve
For the brown butter mayo:
• 175g butter
• 2 egg yolks
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp salt
• 1 tbsp sherry vinegar
For the pickled pink pepper cucumber:
• ½ a cucumber
• 3 tbsp icing sugar
• 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 2 tsp pink peppercorns, crushed
• a handful of fresh dill, chopped
1. For the mayo, firstly melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Increase the heat until the butter melts and begins to simmer, then whisk constantly (this prevents the butter solids from settling at the bottom and burning). Keep stirring until the butter is a light brown colour and then pour the butter into a bowl. Put the egg yolks into a wide bowl, add the mustard and salt and, using a whisk, beat together until creamy. Whisk in the melted brown butter a little at a time until the mixture resembles mayonnaise and then whisk in the vinegar. Season to taste then chill until ready to serve.
2. For the pickled pink pepper cucumber, thinly slice the cucumber on a mandolin, mix with the icing sugar, vinegar, pink peppercorns, and dill and set aside.
3. Crush the juniper berries with the salt in a pestle and mortar and mix with some rapeseed oil.
4. Brush the bars of the BBQ clean to prevent the fish from sticking and then light it.
5. Rub the fish lightly all over with a little olive oil then season with the juniper salt and some black pepper. When the BBQ is ready lay the salmon fillets on the bars, skin side down, and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until the skin is golden brown then carefully flip the salmon over and cook for a further 1 to 2 minutes on the other side. (Wild salmon has less fat so it needs to be slightly undercooked - if overcooked it will be dry.) Lift off the fish and serve immediately on a wooden board with some charred spring onions and the rocket leaves, the pink pepper pickled cucumber and the brown butter mayo.