Black Cod Kebabs with Pineapple Ketchup and Green Slaw by Rachel Green
• 500g Alaska Black Cod, skinned, cut into approx. 4cm pieces
• Lime wedges, to serve
For the blackened seasoning:
• 1 tsp coarse black pepper
• 1 tsp dried thyme
• 1 tsp smoked paprika
• ½ tsp garlic powder
• ½ tsp onion powder
• ¼ cayenne pepper
• ½ tsp salt
For the pineapple ketchup:
• 1 small pineapple, peeled, de-cored and cut into chunks
• 4 vine tomatoes, cut into chunks
• 100g caster sugar
• 150ml cider vinegar
• Juice of a lemon
• 1 mild red chilli, deseeded and diced
For the green slaw:
• ½ a white cabbage, finely shredded
• A handful of kale, stalks and stems removed, finely shredded
• A handful of spinach, finely sliced
• A bunch of spring onions, finely sliced
• 3 tbsp mayonnaise
• 3 tbsp sour cream
• 2 tsp Dijon mustard
• Sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
1. For the blackened seasoning, mix all the ingredients together.
2. For the pineapple ketchup, put the pineapple, tomato chunks, sugar and vinegar into a pan and bring to the boil. Cook for approximately 10-15 minutes or until the pineapple is soft. Drain the mixture, reserving the liquid and put the pineapple mixture into a food processor along with the lemon juice and chilli and blitz to a thick puree. Add enough of the hot reserved liquid to make a ketchup-like consistency. Pass the sauce through a sieve and leave to cool.
3. For the slaw, mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper and leave to one side.
4. Preheat the BBQ. Tip the spice mix onto a baking tray and toss the fish pieces in the mix. Thread the fish onto metal skewers and leave the flavours to infuse for 15 minutes and up to half an hour. Grill the fish kebabs on the BBQ for approximately 6-8 minutes turning regularly.
5. Serve with lime wedges, the pineapple ketchup and some green slaw.