Cajun-Style Alaska Salmon Burgers
• 1 x 418g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink Alaska salmon
• 400g can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
• 400g can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
• 1 celery stick, roughly chopped
• 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
• 1 egg, separated
• 2 tsp Cajun seasoning
• 1 medium courgette, grated
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
• 4 burger buns, cut in two
• Shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes and gherkins, to serve
Drain the salmon and remove the skin and bones, if wished. Break into large chunks.
Put the cannellini and kidney beans into a food processor with the red onion, celery, thyme, egg yolk and Cajun seasoning and blitz together, though avoid over-processing. Tip into a bowl and mix in the grated courgette and salmon chunks. Season with black pepper.
Form the mixture into 4 burgers. Beat the egg white with 2 tbsp water and brush over the burgers.
Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
Toast the cut sides of the burger buns and pile lettuce leaves on top of the bases. Place the salmon burgers on top, then finish off with tomato slices and gherkins.