Cool Cucumber and Wild Alaska Salmon Mousse
• 1 x 416g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 1 sachet powdered gelatine
• 300ml (1/2 pt) vegetable stock, cooled
• 2 x 200g packs low fat soft cheese
• 1/2 cucumber, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Melba toast or crackers, to serve
Drain the canned salmon, reserving the liquid. Remove any skin and bones, if wished, then mash the salmon with a fork.
Pour 100ml (3 1/2fl oz) boiling water into a jug, cool for a few moments, then sprinkle in the powdered gelatine, stirring to disperse. Allow 3 to 4 minutes for it to dissolve to a completely clear liquid, stirring from time to time. When dissolved, stir it into the cooled vegetable stock.
Beat the cheese in a large mixing bowl to soften it. Add the salmon with the reserved salmon liquid and cucumber. Mix in the gelatine liquid. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Pour into a mould or leave the mixture to set in the bowl, transferring it to the fridge to chill. It will take 2 to 3 hours to set. Serve with Melba toast or crackers.
Cook’s tip: If you want to turn out the mousse from a mould, dip the mould into hot water for a few seconds, place a serving plate on top, then invert to release the mousse.