Wild Alaska Sockeye Salmon Hot Smoked Jose Souto
1 x 600-800g side Wild Alaska Sockeye Salmon
100 double cream
50g good horseradish sauce
Juice of 4 oranges
Juice of 1 lemon
20ml white wine vinegar
2 teaspoon of chives
Herbs, to garnish
• Mix salt and sugar. Lay salmon skin side down onto tray and spread salt mix over top. Leave for 2 hours
• Wash off salt and sugar and dry with a cloth well then place it on a tray and leave in fridge for 1 hour uncovered.
• After salmon has chilled for an hour brush the skin side only with a little oil the place onto a smoking rack and in the hot smoker.
• Smoke at 65°C for 20 minutes, or until salmon is cooked
• Remove from smoker, allow to cool and chill
• Semi-whip double cream, add juice of 1 lemon, and horseradish season to taste, adding more lemon juice if necessary.
• The cream should be just at stiff peak stage no more as the lemon will also thicken the cream.
• Place orange juice in pan add sugar heat and reduce to a syrup then cool and chill.
• Combine chilled orange juice syrup with a little vinegar to loosen slightly and add a little acidity
• Flake hot smoked salmon into a bowl add a table spoon of olive oil and add chopped chives.
• Bend together.
• Then serve by shaping the salmon with spoons in a quenelle shape and placing a little horseradish cream on top and the drizzling the orange syrup around it.
• Or place a ring in middle of serving plate and fill with salmon. Press down to leave a 5mm rim
Spoon cream onto salmon and smooth over with pallet knife. Remove ring.
• Drizzle orange dressing around salmon and garnish with herbs.