Little Courgette and Wild Alaska Salmon Fritters
• 1 x 418g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 1 large courgette, grated
• 6 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
• 1 tsp paprika
• 100g (4oz) halloumi cheese, chopped into small pieces
• 50g (2oz) plain flour, plus a little extra
• salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill or parsley
• vegetable oil, for frying
• crème fraîche
• dill or parsley sprigs
Drain the salmon, remove skin and bones if desired, then use a fork to flake the salmon. Set aside a few flakes.
Mash the remaining salmon with a fork, add the grated courgette, spring onions, paprika, halloumi cheese, flour and seasoning. Stir together to mix, then add the beaten eggs and dill or parsley. If the mixture is too wet, add a little extra flour.
Heat about 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a large frying pan, then cook tablespoons of the mixture a few at a time, turning them over after about 2 minutes to cook the other side. Drain on kitchen paper.
Serve the fritters, topped with small spoonfuls of crème fraîche, flakes of the reserved salmon and dill or parsley sprigs.