Wild Alaska Pollock Biriyani
• 2 tbsp olive or vegetable oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 2 tbsp Balti curry paste
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• 400g (14oz) frozen fillets wild Alaska pollock, cut into chunks
• 100g (4oz) frozen peeled prawns
• 900g (2lb) cooked long grain rice
• 150g (6oz) frozen petit pois or garden peas
• 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the onion gently until softened – about 3 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and cumin seeds and cook for another few seconds.
Add the chunks of frozen pollock and prawns, stirring them into the mixture. Cook over a medium-low heat, stirring often, for 4 or 5 minutes. Add a splash of water, if needed.
Tip the cooked rice into the pan with the peas and coriander. Season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir for 3 or 4 minutes, until the rice is piping hot and the fish is cooked – the flesh will be opaque and should flake easily. Serve at once in warmed bowls.
Cook’s tip: If you need to cook some rice first, use 300g (10oz) and cook for 12 minutes in simmering, lightly salted water.