Wild Alaska Salmon, Carrot and Halloumi Burgers
• Vegetable oil, for greasing
• 1 x 416g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 500g (1lb 2oz) carrots, grated
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 100g (4oz) fresh breadcrumbs
• 1 large egg, beaten
• 50g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, grated
• 150g (6oz) Halloumi cheese, crumbled or finely chopped
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh coriander
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• Burger buns, salad and tomato ketchup, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, gas mark 6. Grease a large baking sheet with a little vegetable oil.
Drain the canned salmon, discarding the liquid. Remove any skin and bones, if wished, then break the salmon into small chunks.
Put the carrots into a large mixing bowl and add the onion, breadcrumbs, egg, cheeses and coriander. Season, remembering that cheese is quite salty, so you only need a little salt. Stir in the chunks of salmon
Form the mixture into six burgers and arrange on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until golden brown. Serve in burger buns with salad and tomato ketchup on the side.
Cook’s tip: For a lighter option, wrap and serve the burgers in crisp lettuce leaves or Chinese leaves instead of serving them in burger buns.