Wild Alaska Salmon, Chive and Cheddar Grills
• 1 x 416g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 100g (4oz) low fat soft cheese with garlic and herbs
• 50g (2oz) mature Cheddar cheese, finely grated
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill or chives
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 2 thick slices sourdough or mixed seed bread
Drain the canned salmon, discarding the liquid. Remove any skin and bones, if wished, then mash the salmon with a fork.
Add the soft cheese and about two-thirds of the Cheddar to the salmon. Stir together with the dill or chives and season with a little black pepper.
Preheat the grill. Spread the salmon mixture over the slices of bread. Sprinkle the reserved Cheddar over the top, then grill for about 5 minutes until melted and bubbling. Serve at once.
Cook’s tip: This salmon mixture makes and excellent sandwich filling too, and you can add a small carton of low fat yogurt to transform it into a dip to serve with fresh vegetable sticks.