Wild Alaska Salmon Hummus with Red Onion, Cucumber and Radish Salad
• 1 x 418g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 1 x 410g can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
• 2 garlic cloves, crushed
• 2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1 small red onion, finely sliced
• 1 bunch radish, finely sliced
• ¼ cucumber, sliced
• 1 bag mixed salad leaves
• 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• Pitta bread, to serve
Drain the salmon, reserving 2 tbsp of the liquid and remove the skin and bones, if desired.
Put the salmon into a blender or food processor with the reserved liquid, chickpeas, garlic and tahini. Blend until smooth. Tip into a bowl and season to taste. Cover and chill until ready to serve.
To make the salad, mix all the ingredients together and season with a little salt and pepper. Serve with the salmon hummus, accompanied by warm pitta bread.
Cook’s Tip: You can buy tahini from health food stores if you can’t find it at your local supermarket. Not keen on pitta bread? Serve the salmon hummus with wholemeal toast instead.