Wild Alaska Salmon Pasta Puttanesca
• 1 x 418g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 1 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 400g can chopped tomatoes with herbs
• 1 tbsp capers, rinsed
• 50g (2 oz) pitted black olives, sliced
• Pinch of chilli flakes (optional)
• 350g (12 oz) penne or other pasta shapes
• Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
• To Garnish:
• Fresh basil leaves
Drain the salmon, discarding the skin and removing the bones, if wished. Break the salmon into large chunks. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and fry the onion and garlic gently, without browning, for 4 - 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the capers, black olives and chilli flakes, if using. Season to taste. Continue to simmer gently whilst cooking the pasta.
Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water for 10 – 12 minutes, or according to pack instructions, until tender. Add the tomato sauce, and then gently stir in the salmon chunks. Serve, garnished with basil leaves.
Cook’s Tip: Use regular chopped tomatoes and add 1 tsp of dried mixed herbs, if you prefer.