Wild Alaska Salmon, Pepper and Bean Sprout Stir-Fry
• 1 x 418g or 2 x 213g cans red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• 1 tbsp sherry or wine vinegar
• 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
• finely grated rind and juice of 1 small orange
• 1 tbsp freshly grated root ginger
• 2 tsps cornflour
• 1 tsp Chinese five spice powder
• 1 tbsp wok oil or vegetable oil
• 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
• 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
• 1 orange or green pepper, deseeded and finely sliced
• ¼ cucumber, deseeded and sliced
• 1 bunch spring onions, trimmed and sliced
• 100g (4 oz) bean sprouts
• 1 tsp sesame seeds
Drain the salmon, remove the skin and bones if desired, then break the salmon into large chunks. Set aside.
In a small jug or bowl, mix together the vinegar, chilli sauce, orange juice and ginger. Add the cornflour and five-spice powder, stirring to blend.
Heat the oil in a wok or very large frying pan, then add all the vegetables and stir fry over a high heat for about 5 - 6 minutes, or until cooked, yet still crunchy.
Stir the cornflour mixture, then add it to the vegetables and cook for a few moments until slightly thickened. Add the salmon chunks and stir them through gently. Ladle the stir-fry into warmed bowls and serve immediately, sprinkled with sesame seeds.
Cook’s tips: To save time you could use your choice of fresh or frozen ready-prepared stir fry vegetables.