Wild Alaska Salmon and Soft Cheese Bagels with Pickled Cucumber
• 1 x 213g can red or pink wild Alaska salmon
• ¼ cucumber, thinly sliced
• 1 tbsp capers (optional)
• Pinch salt, white pepper and caster sugar
• 4 tbsp cider vinegar
• 2 sesame seed, multi-seed or plain bagels
• 100g (4oz) low fat soft cheese
• 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
Drain the canned salmon, discarding the liquid. Remove any skin and bones, if wished, then break the salmon into chunks.
Put the sliced cucumber into a shallow bowl and add the capers (if using), salt, pepper, caster sugar and vinegar. Leave to marinate for about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile split the bagels in two and toast the cut sides lightly. Mix the soft cheese with the chives and spread thickly over the bagel bases. Share the salmon between them and add some pickled cucumber, then pop the bagel tops in place. Serve at once or wrap in cling-film for a packed lunch.