Wild Alaska Salmon, Spring Onion and Asparagus Quiche
• 225g plain flour
• ½tsp salt
• 55g chilled butter, cut into pieces
• 55g chilled white vegetable fat, cut into pieces
• 2x 213g cans Princes Red Salmon
• 20g butter
• 6 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
• 150g asparagus, trimmed and chopped
• 2 eggs
• 150ml crème fraiche
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C, fan oven 180°C, Gas Mark 6.
2. Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter and vegetable fat until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs. Add 2-3tbsp cold water to make a soft (not sticky) dough. Knead lightly until smooth. Wrap and chill for 10 minutes.
3. Drain the salmon, break into chunks and set aside. Melt the butter in a frying pan. Gently fry the spring onions and asparagus for 5 minutes. Cool.
4. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use to line a 20cm flan tin. Line with crumpled foil and bake ‘blind’ (i.e. without a filling) for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 180°C, fan oven 160°C, Gas Mark 4.
5. Remove the foil and fill the flan with the salmon chunks, spring onions and asparagus. Beat the eggs and crème fraiche together, season, then pour into the flan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until set. Cool.